International trade is an integral part of our increasingly globalised world. Our team brings years of experience to understanding the complex needs of importers, exporters, insurers and financiers.
We have expertise in:
- advising importers and exporters on terms of sale and purchase, including the application and interpretation of the International Commercial Terms 2010
- advising cargo insurers and financiers regarding their rights under shipping documents including bills of lading, sea waybills and air waybills
- assisting in disputes regarding liabilities for taxes and duties such as customs duty
- advising on obligations regarding container detention disputes
- advising sea and air carriers, freight forwarders and vessel and aircraft charterers regarding their liabilities and assisting them with contractual arrangements
- advising on work health and safety, including the application of legislation such as the Maritime Labour Convention
- workplace relations
- contract drafting, including terms and conditions of carriage and logistics contracts
- government and regulatory advice
- litigating in all Australian courts and engaging in alternative dispute resolution (including mediation and arbitration) in Australia and in foreign jurisdictions
We recognise that insurance, construction, property, corporate and finance law and dispute resolution are all highly relevant to international trade and we can draw on our expertise in these areas.
Our lawyers are recognised as leaders in their fields. Stuart Hetherington and Andrew Tulloch are regularly listed as leading lawyers in maritime, aviation and international trade law, with various listings in Chambers & Partners, Asia-Pacific Legal 500 and Best Lawyers.
Through our extensive network of international lawyer contacts and our membership of ADVOC, we are able to steer our clients to well-qualified and experienced lawyers in other jurisdictions if required.