Ian Wright is a multidisciplinary lawyer holding, in addition to a Bachelor of Laws (Honours), a Bachelor of Arts (Geography and Economics) and a Masters of Urban and Regional Planning.
Ian is an expert planning, government, infrastructure and environment solicitor with extensive experience in the provision of planning, government, infrastructure and environmental law advice, the drafting of land use and infrastructure planning instruments, the drafting of State and local government statutory instruments and the conduct of planning, environmental and public law litigation.
Ian has been recognised for his expertise in the areas of planning and environment law in the listings below:
- Doyle's Guide 2014 to 2022 - Pre-eminent Planning and Development Lawyers - Queensland
- Doyle's Guide 2016 to 2022 - Leading Environment and Heritage Lawyers - Queensland
- Doyle's Guide 2016 - Leading Planning and Environment Lawyers in Australia
- Best Lawyers 2016 to 2023 - Leading practitioner Planning and Environmental law in Australia
- Best Lawyers 2021 and 2023 - Leading practitioner Government Practice
- Chambers and Partners Asia-Pacific 2013 to 2022 - Recognised practitioner Environment and Planning law in Australia
Ian has prepared State government legislation including the Urban Land Development Authority Act 2007 and State Planning Regulatory Provisions for various Regional Plans as well as amendments to the Integrated Planning Act 1997, Brisbane Casino Agreement Act 1983, Jupiters Casino Agreement Act 1983 and Breakwater Island Casino Agreement Act 1984.
Ian is a Certified Practising Planner member of the Planning Institute of Australia, a trustee of the Committee for Economic Development of Australia and is a former President of the Queensland Environmental Law Association. Ian was a lecturer in Environmental Law and Assessment at the Queensland University of Technology's Department of Built Environment and Engineering from 1993 to 2015 and was a lecturer in Planning Law at the University of Queensland from 1997 to 2005.